In the latest edition of ‘Criminological Highlights’ published by the University of Toronto (Volume 17 March 2018) the topics summarized include:
- Are complex algorithms for predicting recidivism helpful?
- Is the presence of substance abuse treatment programs in a community associated with changes in crime rates?
- How does contact with the criminal justice system affect the mental health of an accused person?
- What do the police need to do to encourage Muslim communities to report suspected terrorism activities?
- What can we learn from the failure to replicate an experiment involving the police?
- What can be done to help people with criminal convictions and housing?
- How does pretrial detention affect crime?
- What should we do to reduce police shootings of civilians?
We hope you enjoy reading some ‘evidence’ on topics you might be interested in.
In addition to announcing future editions of Criminological Highlights, members of the ICPA Research & Development Network are committed to providing their own short summaries of research that can be turned into action!
Author: Frank Porporino, Ph.D. ICPA Research & Development Network