To promote humane and exemplary practices for the planning and design of new and renovation of existing prison environments.
- Assemble as many existing physical plant standards/guidelines that impact prison design as can be identified.
- Examine the “dozen” critical guidelines (e.g., space allocation per prisoner for sleeping) that every prison department should aim to achieve.
- Cross reference these critical guidelines with existing minimum standards.
- Identify how and where these guidelines could be included in the UN Minimum Rules.
- Assemble a catalogue of essential technology for consideration by:
– Developed nations,
– Developing nations, and
– Post-conflict/disaster conditions.
- Begin the preparation of a basic design guidelines document with examples for 3 (a, b, and c) above.
MEMBERS OF THE GROUP:
- Gary Golder, Mexico
- Enrique Macia, USA
- Malcolm Gardiner, New Zealand
- Mike Murphy, USA
- Ramon Tico, USA
- Helena Pombares, UK
- Gabriela Perez Garcia, Mexico
- José Patricio Patino Arias, Mexico
- Rupali Jeswal, Thailand
- Andrew Cupples, USA
- Don Stolworthy, USA
- Gary Hill, USA
- Marayca Lopez, USA
- Mark Kroeker, USA
- Elsa Van Herck, Blegium
- Will Thurbin