- Event Start Date:
- 27th March 2017
- Event End Date:
- 29th March 2017
- Event Theme:
- Enhancing Comparability and Understanding
- Ghent, Belgium
ICPA in collaboration with EuroPris and the Belgian Prison Service is organising on 27-29 March 2017 in Ghent, the first International Correctional Research Symposium. The two-day conference aims to improve the ways we conduct research in corrections. Having an accurate and understandable picture of the situation within corrections is crucial for making decisions with regards to how prisoners and ex-offenders are managed and for future planning on a local basis. Information gleaned on a local level is aggregated on a national level to inform heads of service, ministers and policymakers. Furthermore, many academics, NGOs and non-profit organisations conduct research to try to compare this information on an inter-jurisdictional basis.
This conference aims to focus on each stage of harnessing data at local, national and international levels, to look at current research undertaken within correctional services and by external agencies, and through discussion to share our experiences and seek ways to enhance these processes.
By organising this event we hope to strengthen the global research network, raise awareness of operational and applied research projects, to search for ways to encourage greater cross-jurisdictional comparative research, especially in terms of measuring performance and/or correctional outcomes, and to begin identifying some potential solutions which can promote the development of shared data definitions and statistical comparisons cross-jurisdictionally.
Registration fees are set at the special rate of 195 EUR for delegates from Public Sector, Government, NGO/Non-Profit and Academic institutions (375 EUR for all other participants). For more information and to register for this unique event please contact a member of our team at www.icpa.ca/crs2017.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This event has the purpose of inviting researchers with a broad interest in criminal justice and corrections issues, especially as it pertains to the measurement of performance, quality of services and outcomes in the delivery of correctional services, as well as research managers from correctional agencies worldwide, including both prisons and community services. We also invite those working in data analysis technologies to attend and share your experiences with regards to industry recognised methods, tools and approaches for data collection and analysis.
- Criminal Justice Researchers from Academic Institutions or Research Bodies
- Research Managers/Coordinators from Public Sector Prison and Correctional Services
- NGO/Non-Profit Representatives
- Data Analysis and Software Specialists (Public and Private Sector Representatives)
AREAS OF FOCUS
By attending this conference you will be able to participate in sessions which address:
- How to extract useful information on your prisoner population
- How to plan and structure research activities
- Methods for collecting data and improving collection processes
- Dealing with conflicting definitions at local, national and international levels
- Enhancing understanding through better reporting
- Transparency vs. risk: responsible sharing of information
- How to collectively identify key indicators for international comparison and benchmarking
Take part in this unique event which aims to bring our shared understanding of global corrections to the next level. Discuss the challenges and successes with other researchers in the field and learn about the latest tools and techniques which will enable you to perform better analysis within your organisation.
For more information, please visit www.icpa.ca/crs2017
To see our Participant Book for CRS2017, CLICK HERE